Written By: Prince William County
Prince William County’s annual budget process kicks off with the presentation of the proposed Fiscal Year (FY) 2025-2030 Capital Improvement Program to the Board of County Supervisors during their meeting on Tuesday, Feb. 13. The County Executive will then present the proposed FY2025 Budget to the Board of County Supervisors on Feb. 20. Both presentations will occur during the Board’s 7:30 p.m. meetings.
Over the next few months, the Board will hold work sessions and public hearings on the proposed Fiscal Year 2025 Budget and receive community input before adopting the budget on April 23. The fiscal year runs from July 1, 2024, through June 30, 2025.
Following is this year’s budget calendar:
- On Feb. 13, the Board will see the proposed plan for the county’s Capital Improvement Projects, or CIP, for 2025-2030.
- On Feb. 20, the County Executive will present the Proposed Budget, which details proposed funding for county services in Fiscal Year 2025.
- On Saturday, Feb. 24, a virtual community meeting will be held at 9 a.m. where county residents will be able to hear the presentations and ask questions about the proposed CIP and proposed budget.
- On Wednesday, Feb. 28, at 6 p.m., the Planning Commission will review infrastructure projects in the proposed CIP during a work session.
- On March 12, 19 and April 2, the Board will hold budget work sessions during their 2 p.m. meetings, which will cover specific areas of the proposed budget.
- On March 19, the Board will hold a public hearing on the proposed budget.
- On March 27, the Planning Commission will hold a public hearing at 7 p.m.
- On April 2, the Prince William County School Board will present its proposed budget presentation to the Board of County Supervisors. According to the current revenue sharing agreement, the county provides 57.23 percent of general fund revenue to Prince William County Schools.
- On April 9, there will be a recap on the proposed budget and the Board will hold public hearings on the budget, tax rates and fees.
- On April 16, during the budget markup session, the Board will determine any final changes they would like to make to the budget.
- The budget is scheduled to be adopted on April 23.
All meetings will be held in the Board Chambers at the McCoart Administration Building, 1 County Complex Court, in Woodbridge, at 7:30 p.m. unless otherwise noted above.
There are several ways that the public can get involved during the budget process. They are welcome to attend the above-mentioned meetings and speak; they may ask a question using the interactive Budget Q&A at pwcva.gov/budget, which will go live after the County Executive presents the proposed budget; or they may contact their district supervisor, whose contact information can be found at pwcva.gov/bocs.
More information about the FY2025 Budget can be found at www.pwcgov.org/budget.