Written By: Prince William Public Libraries
Prince William Public Libraries will be offering teens volunteer opportunities to support the 2022 “Oceans of Possibilities” Summer Reading Program. In the interest of keeping our community safe, this year’s Summer Reading program will be held as a hybrid program providing volunteers the opportunity to serve virtually or in person at local branches, June 13 – August 14. Summer Reading Volunteers must be between ages 13 and 18. Limited volunteer positions are available.
In-Person Summer Reading Volunteers
In-person volunteers will be tasked with activities that must be completed in-person at a designated library branch. In-person volunteers will be scheduled to work one two- or three-hour shift once a week; additional hours may be available. Volunteers must be able to use a computer. In-person volunteer activities may include:
- Assisting patrons with signing up for Summer Reading challenges at a service desk.
- Preparing crafts for in-person summer reading programs.
- Distribute Summer Reading Prizes.
- And more!
Virtual Summer Reading Volunteers
Virtual volunteers will participate in activities that can be completed in whole or in part at home and may require internet use. Virtual volunteers must be able to complete at least five activities during the Summer Reading program (June 13 – August 14). Virtual summer reading volunteer activities may include:
- Preparing take and make craft kits.
- Reading and writing brief book reviews (books must be available in PWPL’s collection).
- Help prepare content for virtual programs (trivia questions, artwork, etc.).
- Assist during virtual summer reading programs (greeting participants, muting participants, etc.)
- Create materials for displays.
- Participate in a Teen Advisory Group (TAG).
- And more.
- Some virtual volunteer activities may require internet access with mic/video capability.
Interested Summer Reading volunteer candidates are requested to complete PWPL’s 2022 Summer Reading Volunteer Application online. Click here to apply online. For those unable to complete an application online, click here to download an application. Hard copy applications may be submitted at any PWPL Library Branch or mailed to the PWPL Volunteer Office.
Please note that submission of an application does not guarantee placement in the Summer Reading Volunteer Program.
OTHER VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES: HOW TO APPLY
Regular volunteers must be at least 16 years old to apply and commit to no less than a six-month commitment and a minimum of two hours of service per week. Short-term volunteers must be at least 12 years old to apply. Please note, all regular volunteer positions require an application, an interview, and references. Click here for a complete list of volunteer opportunities.
For more information regarding volunteer opportunities with Prince William Public Libraries, please contact our Volunteer Office at 703-792-6100 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org